Madras-Style Curry Paste
- 100 g (1 cup) ground coriander
- 50 g (1/2 cup) ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds, ground
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger vinegar, for mixing
- 185 ml (3/4 cup) oil
- Combine the ground spices and salt in a bowl.
- Add the garlic and ginger and just enough vinegar to make a smooth, thick puree.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the spice mixture, then reduce the heat and stir constantly until the spices are cooked and the oil starts to separate.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
- You can substitute it for garlic, ginger and spices in many other recipes – it’s up to you and your taste buds.