For Vegans don’t use eggs in this recipe.
For the mushroom stock:
- 7 cups water
- 1 piece kombu (approximately 12-square inches in size)
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
For the soup:
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 rounded tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 6 ounces spinach
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 10 ounces king trumpet mushrooms, sliced lengthwise
- pinch of sea salt
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 leeks, cleaned and cut into 1-inch slices on the diagonal
- 21 ounces fresh udon noodles
- 1 package enoki mushrooms (approximately 7 ounces), ends trimmed
- 6 — 8 large eggs (depending on how large you want your servings to be)
- shichimi togarashi, to garnish
Make the mushroom stock:
- Place the dried shiitake mushrooms and kombu in a pot with the water.
- Bring the water almost to a boil and then turn down the heat to maintain a simmer.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let the stock stand for 3 minutes.
- Squeeze the mushrooms to release the stock they have soaked up, then strain the stock through a fine-mesh strainer and set aside.
- Cut off and discard the shiitake stems, then cut an “X” into the top of each mushroom cap and set aside.
Prepare the spinach:
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and cook the spinach for one minute.
- Quickly drain the spinach and plunge it into a bowl of cold water.
- Drain and rinse with cold water until the spinach is completely cold.
- Squeeze out the water, then cut into 1-inch lengths.
- Set aside.
Prepare the king trumpet mushrooms and tofu:
- Heat the sesame oil in a saute pan, then add the sliced king trumpet mushrooms and pinch of sea salt.
- Saute until the mushrooms are cooked through, browned, and starting to become crispy in places.
- Remove the finished mushrooms to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the cubed tofu to the pan, adding additional oil as necessary to prevent the tofu from sticking to the pan, and sauté until the tofu is browned.
- Set aside.
Make the soup:
- Mix the mushroom stock, soy sauce, mirin, and salt together in a 4-quart saucepan, then stir in the garlic and ginger.
- Add the sliced carrots, leeks, and shiitake mushrooms, then bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer until the carrots are tender.
- Add the udon noodles, king trumpet mushrooms and tofu, then place the spinach in 5 small bundles on the top.
- Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Separate the enoki mushrooms into 5 bundles and place them on top of the soup.
- Gently crack the eggs, one at a time, into the soup.
- Cover the pot with a lid, and let simmer for 3 minutes, then turn off the heat and let sit to allow the eggs to finish cooking.
- Serve hot. Garnish with shichimi togarashi, if desired.