Banana cake goes well with the bold taste of passion fruit (serves 8 – 12)
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 tbsp oat milk
- 125 g (4 oz) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp rum or 1 tsp vanilla essence
- egg replacer for 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water
- 175 g (6 oz) fine wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 75 g (3 oz) chopped walnuts
Passion Fruit Glaze Ingredients
- Passion fruit pulp from 4 passion fruits
- 6 tbsp brown rice syrup or golden syrup
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 180’C (350’F/Gas 4).
- Oil a 20×20 cm (8×8 inch) cake tin, line the base with greaseproof paper.
- Mash the bananas and immediately stir in the oil.
- Stir in the oat milk, brown sugar and rum or vanilla.
- Whisk the egg replacer and water until frothy.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour banana mixture and the egg replacer into the flour mixture and stir until combined, ensuring all dry ingredients are moistened.
- Add walnuts and pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes until firm to touch and a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then turn out and cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the glaze, combine the passion fruit pulp, syrup, and sugar in a saucepan.
- Cook over gentle heat until sugar has dissolved.
- Increased heat, bring to the boil, and cook, without stirring, for about 2 minutes, until it has thickened slightly.
- Remove from heat.
- The glaze will continue to thicken as it cools.
- When the cake and glaze are fully cooled, spread the glaze over the cake.
Banana Cake & Chocolate Chips
- Prepare the recipe, using 125 g (4 oz) chopped vegan plain chocolate in place of the walnuts.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons brown sugar (a crystalline sugar such as Demerara is good) over the top of the cake before baking.
- Omit the glaze.
Banana & Orange Cake With Passion Fruit Glaze
- Prepare the recipe, using 2 tablespoons orange juice, the rind of 1 orange and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in place of the rum or vanilla essence.
Banana Raisin Cake & Passion Fruit Glaze
- Prepare the recipe, adding 125 g (4 oz) raisins to the batter.
Banana Almond Cake & Passion Fruit Glaze
- Prepare the recipe, replacing 25 g (1 oz) of the wholemeal flour with 25 g (1 oz) ground almonds.
- Also, use 75 g (3 oz) chopped blanched almonds in place of the walnuts.