- 375 ml ( 12 fl oz) soya milk
- 225 g (8 0z) sugar
- 125 g (4 oz) soya margarine
- Grease a 18×18 cm (7×7 inch) baking tin and line it with greaseproof paper.
- Place the soya milk, sugar and margarine in a very large pan – the mixture expands considerably while boiling.
- Insert a sugar thermometer and cook over moderate heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil, cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove the cover and continue to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring constantly, until the sugar thermometer reaches soft ball stage, 114’C (270’F) (If you don’t have a sugar thermometer, drop a little of the mixture into a cup of cold water. It will form into a soft ball when it is hot enough; until then it will just disperse in the water).
- It is extremely important to stir continuously throughout this process, as fudge can easily scorch.
- Remove the fudge from the heat immediately and place the base of the pan into a bowl of cold water to cool quickly and stop the cooking process.
- Stir in the vanilla and beat until the mixture thickens and loses its gloss.
- Pout into the prepared baking tin and place on a wire rack.
- When almost set, mark into 2.5 cm (1 inch) squares.
- When it has cooled and set completely, cut into pieces.
- Arrange in a decorative box or in plastic bags tied with raffia ribbon. (You should have around 49 pieces)
- Prepare the above recipe, using just 1 teaspoon vanilla essence.
- Stir the vanilla and 100 g (3 1/2 oz) vegan plain chocolate into the mixture at the same time.
- Prepare the chocolate fudge variation above, but use 2 teaspoons instant coffee in place of the 2 teaspoons vanilla essence.
Vanilla Cherry Fudge
- Prepare the above recipe, stirring in 50 g (2 oz) chopped cherries to the mixture at the same time as the vanilla.
Rum Raisin Fudge
- Prepare the above recipe, using 50 g (2 oz) plump raisins and 2 tablespoons rum in place of the vanilla.
Nutty Almond Fudge
- Prepare the above recipe, using 50 g (2 oz) roughly chopped toasted almonds and a few drops of almond essence in place of the vanilla.