- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 125 g (4 oz) mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried sage
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 125 g (4 oz) unsweetened chestnut puree (or make your own)
- 4 tbsp vegetable stock or half red wine and half stock
- 2x 375 g (12 oz) blocks veg puff pastry
- 2 tbsp soya milk
- black sesame seeds, to sprinkle
- 225 g (8 oz) brown sugar
- 125 ml (4 oz fl) orange juice
- 225 g (8 oz) fresh cranberries
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a flameproof casserole dish.
- Add the onion and cook over medium – high heat for 5-7 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms, carrots and celery.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the soya sauce, yeast, thyme, sage, parsley, chestnut puree, veg stock/red wine mix (which ever option you picked) and cook for 5 minutes, then allow to cool.
- Roll each pastry block into a 32 cm (13 inch), square, trim and cut into 4x 15 cm (6 inch) squares
- Place the chestnut mixture in centre of each square.
- Brush the edges of squares with water, then fold in half to form triangles.
- Seal edges with a fork, then brush with soy milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Place on 2 baking trays.
- Cover and leave in the fridge for 1 hour or until required.
- Meanwhile make the sauce.
- Place the sugar and orange juice into a pan, bring to the boil, then stir in the cranberries and cinnamon.
- Cook for about 8 minutes until the cranberries are soft but are still holding their shape.
- Cover and keep chilled until time to serve.
- Preheat oven to 200’C (400’F/6 Gas).
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the pastry is puffed and golden brown.
- Serve with the cranberry sauce.
- Makes 8 pastries.
Chestnut Triangles With Mushroom-Wine Gravy
- Prepare the chestnut triangles, but replace the cranberry sauce with gravy.
- Cook a small onion and 4 oz sliced mushrooms in 4 tbsp oil until just soft.
- Add 4 tbsp flour, cook for 2 minutes, then slowly add 500 ml (16 fl oz) veg stock, 150 ml (1/4 pt) red wine, 2 tbsp soya sauce, 1 tbsp nutritional yeast and 1/2 tsp each sage and thyme.
- Cook gently, stirring constantly, until thickened; season with salt and pepper.
Smooth Chestnut Triangles With Cranberry Sauce
- Prepare the basic recipe, but cooking the carrot and celery in stock until soft.
- Puree in a blender before mixing with the chestnut puree and herbs.
Black Bean And Mushroom Triangles With Cranberry Sauce
- Prepare the basic recipe, but puree a 400 g (14 oz) tin/fresh black beans and add with the stock in place of the chestnut puree. Add 1 tsp Tabasco.
Chestnut Wellington With Cranberry Sauce
- Prepare the basic recipe.
- Use 1 pre-rolled puff pastry sheet and place the chestnut mixture in the centre, brush the edges with water and fold the long sides together, pinch to seal, then seal together both ends. Continue as for the basic recipe cooking for about 40 minutes until golden.