Cobblers are some of the easiest desserts to make as part of their beauty lies in that family-style, bubbled-over essence, which makes them perfect for mid-week sweets, picnics, potlucks and parties alike. For smaller dinner parties, I like use smaller ovenproof ceramic dishes and serve everyone his or her own cobbler.
Makes one 9″ cobbler
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 pound fresh rhubarb, chopped
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar (I prefer unrefined cane sugar)
- 1 T. corn starch dissolved in 1 T. cold water
For the Filling:
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 T. baking powder
- ¼ cup white sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/8 t. salt •6 T. cold soy margarine, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup- ½ cup plain dairy-free almond milk or soy milk
- Preheat the oven to 18 C. Lightly grease (with dairy-free soy margarine) a deep 9″ pie plate, and set aside.
- Prepare the filling. Place the strawberries, rhubarb and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Add the cornstarch mixture, stirring well to combine. Stirring occasionally, cook the filling until slightly thickened, about 7-10 minutes. Carefully pour the filling into the prepared pie plate.
- Make the topping. In a food processor, combine the white flour, baking powder, salt and sugar, pulsing until well mixed. Add the soy margarine and process until the mixture is crumbly. With the machine still running, add the almond milk gradually until the mixture just holds together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Assemble the cobbler. Using your hands, pull and flatten pieces of dough between your fingers and gently lay these on top of the filling, overlapping and covering as much of the filling’s surface as possible. (The mixture will expand, so it is okay if not all of the topping is covered.)
- Once all of the dough has been used, sprinkle the topping lightly with sugar. Bake until puffed up and golden brown, about 35-45 minutes.
- Serve warm, at room temperature or cold.