Jalebi Recipe (Indian Dessert)
How to make jalebi:
- Mix the flour, semolina or rice flour, baking powder, curd and 3/4th cup of the water in a bowl (preferably a ceramic bowl).
- Mix well with a whisk. Mix well and then add remaining water and 1/8th tsp. of saffron powder, and whisk until smooth.
- Set aside for about 2 hours to ferment.
- Whisk thoroughly before use.
- Prepare one string syrup by dissolving sugar in the water. Just before the syrup is ready add saffron and cardamom powder.
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Pour the batter in a steady stream ( or coconut shell with a hole) into the kadhai to form coils. Make a few at a time.
- Deep fry them until they are golden and crisp all over but not brown. Remove from the kadhai and drain on kitchen paper and immerse in the syrup.
- Leave for at least 4-5 minutes so that they soak the syrup.
- Take the jalebi out of syrup and serve hot.