Make sure your vegetarian or vegan barbecue menu includes some low-fat, high-protein, healthy and tasty tofu! Here are some quick tips to help you have the tastiest grilled tofu on the block. With these quick tofu tips, you’ll be grilling like a pro!
- Tofu tends to stick to grills, so prepare your barbecue with a non-stick cooking spray or by rubbing it with oil.
- Use firm, or if possible, extra-firm tofu, and always press your tofu well before grilling. You may also want to freeze and then thaw your tofu. This will allow the tofu to absorb more of the marinade flavors.
- Marinate your tofu in your favorite marinade for at least 30 minutes before grilling. I like to marinate tofu in a zip lock bag in the refrigerator overnight. You can use just about any barbecue marinade recipe that you like, or try a store-bought marinade. Have a favorite salad dressing? That will work well too!
- When marinating your tofu, even just a simple soy sauce, barbecue sauce or vinaigrette will do the trick. A marinade containing a bit of sugar is best, as it will caramelize and help the tofu get nice and crispy and crunchy on the outside, so add a bit of sugar, rice wine vinegar, honey or maple syrup to your marinade.
- Try experimenting with pre-flavored tofu in your grocery store. Look for Naysoya brand garlic and onion tofu or White Wave baked flavored tofu.
- Use bamboo skewers rather than placing your tofu right on the grill.
- Grill over a pre-heated grill for 6-7 minutes on each side, brushing occasionally with extra marinade.